Sunday, March 21, 2010

!tsal ta gnirpS


Dare I say it?! “Spring” has finally arrived! The birds are chirping, the sun is shining, and we reached a high temperature of 55°F this past week!

To celebrate the weather, I went on a few nice runs in the week—one to Little Venice along Regent’s canal. The mood changed as the scenery changed-- from stately mansions near Regent’s Park to a castle-cum-pub and rainbow neon lights in Camden Town. All of it was fantastically different.

I spent almost 30 hours volunteering this past week. Although I am now allowed to work on wards, I spent a majority of my time on the Shop Trolley this week. It seems that because I’ve been doing such a good job with it, the volunteer coordinators are reluctant to have me do anything else. I need to be more assertive. Working on the wards can be rewarding, although it can be deadly dull as well. I spent some time this past week in the Emergency room, making teas for people and talking to them. I spoke for a while with a man from the Seychelles, who was very interesting, and another woman who I think had dementia and couldn’t remember how to get home. Upstairs, I took the tea and coffee cart around to the patients on a ward and took their dinner orders a few times. Some of the people there have been in the hospital for almost a year—it’s quite sad.

Last weekend I made brunch for a few friends of mine—we had baked eggs with spinach and cream, homemade biscuits, orange and pineapple ambrosia, mimosas, and banana pudding (the latter two were brought by a good friend). The theme was, of course, a Southern style brunch. It went over very well!

MCAT studying is going… well… ok. I took another practice test yesterday, and although my score was OK, I need to score higher. MD/PhD programs are super-competitive, and I’m quite certain that they play the numbers game. I just need to buckle down, I think, and stop making stupid mistakes. 27 days until test day, and I’m almost finished with my review of material. Soon, it’ll be constant practice tests.

No comments:

Post a Comment