Sunday, February 14, 2010

keeW A tahW

Weeks in London seem to go somewhat fast, yet looking back they seem an eternity.

This week was jam packed. Monday was an art visit to the Tate Britain for more Hogarth paintings along with a Gainsboro or two. Followed that with an afternoon shopping around central london for a bathing suit to use in my triathlon. I want one that is long enough so that I do not have to shave my legs. Even in Lillywhites I found nothing. Had to order it online.

Tuesday was house dinner, and it was my turn again to organize everything. I decided to do bangers and mash the real English way-- with creamy potatoes and brown onion gravy, peas, and a Victoria Sandwich cake, my mother's favorite tea cake from when she was little. The students wanted salad, too. So I buy the ingredients, make the dinner. Good pork sausages from Waitrose roasted in the oven. From-scratch cake and icing. Fed 18 people. Stressful, yet a raging success!

Wednesday was The Misanthrope by Moliere with Kiera Knightly in the West End. Not bad. Not great. Kiera was petulant and put on a screetchy American accent to back up the character. Eh...

Thursday I began volunteering at the local hospital on the shop trolley-- a cart that goes around the wards selling snacks, drinks, toiletries, and newspapers to patients. It was really fun-- I'm doing it again this week.

Friday was MCAT studying-- I need to practice more, that's all I'm saying. I also spent some time bonding with my students at a pub around the corner and then till late in our house. Very revealing evening.

Saturday was a 10k charity race in frigid weather. I stood in the cold for 2 hours because I was given the wrong starting time for the race. My legs and hands were numb for the first lap. Still, I ran it in 47'58"-- very surprised how well I did! My aunt and uncle came all the way to London to see me and cheer me on-- so glad they did. It was nice to have supporters! They also treated me to a nice lunch in Chelsea afterwards. Great to see them! Had drinks in the evening with my alumna friend in Camden-- good times discussing things from the US South.


I was sick for most of the week with a sore throat and malaise but without a temperature. Slept a lot. Put triathlon training on hold. Wasn't sure I'd be able to do the run Saturday, but felt good enough to do it. Still have a sore throat and sneezing fits galore. Hopefully tomorrow I'll feel better.

No comments:

Post a Comment